The Bridges in Painshill Park
Painshill Park was laid out between 1738 and 1773 by Charles Hamilton and represents one of the earliest gardens in which a naturalistic landscape replaced the geometric formality of earlier gardens. Visitors were expected to follow a prescribed route with carefully contrived views. At Painshill this route crossed a lake three times via bridges whose design’s were based on bridge’s in Palladio’s 15th century architectural treatise. One of the two timber bridges and a bridge built of timber and finished in stucco to give the appearance of rusticated stone disappeared in the 19th century and only their brick abutments remained. Using the evidence of archaeological excavations, the Italian treatise and early views of the park we recreated the original designs, and obtained the necessary planning consents.
Client: Painshill Park Trust